I’m late to this one, but there is a fantastic service called UptimeRobot for monitoring site uptime. A killer feature is the ability to add a simple status page via a subdomain to your site. Example: status.sheru.uk.
First, head over to UptimeRobot and sign up.
- There are no sites configured initially, so we need to add one
- Now you need to decide what site(s) to monitor.
- Once you’ve done this, you can create a custom status page. This can be accessed from clicking My Settings at the top of the page and scrolling down until you find the option for Add Public Status Page.
- If you don’t want your public status page to be public, you can enter a password. I left mine blank.
- We want this status page to be available on a subdomain of an existing site (status.sheru.uk). Once the form is complete, we need to edit our DNS record (this will be either where you registered your domain, or your server host) and add a new CNAME record. We point this at
- This should be available almost instantly. Visit the subdomain you created and you’ll see your new status page.
You can continue to add as many sites as you like to this status page, or go back and edit the settings if you decide you don’t want this information to be public. You can also create different status pages, with their own privacy settings –but you’ll need to use a different subdomain for each.